Sunday, April 12, 2009

Introduction to Neocon's Nook

After getting the green light from Ed, and mentally committing myself to try very hard to post relatively regularly, I've decided to start a column written from the point of view of a Neoconservative. I was asked to write a column from this perspective around three and a half years ago for a political website but unfortunately it never got off the ground.

Neocon has become an ugly word the past 5-6 years with criticism from all over the place, Right and Left. Very sad in my opinion because not many people I've spoken with actually know what one is other than connecting a few names to it. Very sad because it is exactly the plan created and endorsed by Neoconservatives from day one in Iraq that helped us turn the corner after a disasterous 2006 (somehow the media convinced the public that Messrs Rumsfeld and Bremer are Neoconservatives and hence we ruined everything). Very sad because the 70s, which most American Conservatives can agree was a disgusting decade, was dominated by the Democrats because while Conservatives and Neoconservatives were natural allies on almost every single issue, they weren't ready to work together and often Neoconservatives undermined Presidents Nixon and Ford. We came together under the great President Reagan and remain to this day on the same side usually. But things haven't been perfect since Iraq started.

I don't even like putting American Conservatives and Neoconservatives in different categories as if we aren't both Republicans and as if there aren't plenty of other differences within the Republican Party besides between these ideologies but there are some small ones worth pointing out. I often go back and forth when I give my own self a label. I am a little different than the tradtional Neoconservative though. Unlike most, I didn't move from the Democrats after being fed up with liberalism gone wild, I was already an American Conservative who had experiences in my life that made me very interventionist in foreign policy. The pro-military stance of American Conservatives have often hid the fact that many are not nearly as interventionist outside our borders. Despite not being nearly as much in favor of Big Government as Democrats, most Neoconservatives are more tolerable than the traditional American Conservative. I am not.

I had many articles prepared when I was first asked to write a regular column but most that I do now will be new. The first one won't though. It will be one from Oct 2005 dealing with the two-party system. I don’t think anyone, any party or any ideology has ever made a stand on it one way or the other. However, I think most Americans from both sides of the fence would say they are against the two-party system but since supporting it would be supporting the status quo, and since not supporting it, in my opinion, shows a desire to change without considering the consequences (change just to change), I find it to be a Conservative position. I thought that when I wrote it and since a main tenet of Neoconservatism is a strong belief in unintended consequences, I found it a Neoconservative position as well. I would love to see the Republican platform defend the two-party system.

I will attempt to contribute as regularly as humanly possible... at least a few articles a month... but I will forewarn I have a very very limited schedule.

Hope Y'all enjoy what I can make time for.

Happy Easter!!!

God Bless America!!!
Christopher P. Hutchinson
(Hutch)

Note: If anyone would like to contact me privately, the best email address to use is: c.hutchinson@curb-tec.pl

No comments:

Post a Comment